Monday, August 30, 2010

And the Thunder Rolls

I am beginning to hear the first rumblings of dissidence in my classroom. The kids are starting to realize that I am really, truly, not going to stand up in front of the room and lecture to them. This is making quite a few of them nervous.

Some of them are having full blown panic attacks.

Some are beginning to realize that the whiteboard discussions are their opportunities to ask questions and clarify what they know. Some are still too busy texting to even know what class they are in*. A few are cursing under their breath.

I'm having trouble with my 5th hour. There are a few kids in there that simply cannot stop talking. It makes no difference who they are sitting next to, that person is wonderful to talk to. It's also early in the year yet and we really haven't decided who the alpha male is going to be. There is a lot of big talk and strange teenage animal noises still being made and I am hoping this gets resolved in the next few days so we can all get down to work.

My classroom climate with this group is no where near where I want it to be, and I don't really know what to do about it, so the frustration is setting in.

We also just took our first real quiz. Some of my kids are having a hard time transitioning to the SBG.

Kid: "So what did I get on my quiz?"
Me: "Well, let's see, you got 3 out of 4 on Lab Skills target #8 and 2.5 out of 4 on Lab Skills target #3.
Kid: "Sooooo, what did I get on my quiz?"
Kid #2: "Can I do extra credit?"

They'll get there.

And so will I.


*People who decided cell signal blockers are illegal have never had a room full of teenagers to teach.

4 comments:

Mrs. Tenkely said...

I think every teacher on the planet has had these moments. The shaking your head and wondering what in the world you are going to do with these little people. You are right. They will get there, and so will you. That fifth hour will learn and understand and then one day everything will just work. Here is hoping that the day comes sooner than later!

Lee Trampleasure said...

Mrs. Tenkely, you're usually right--but every once in a while there's that class that never quite gels and both teacher and students "survive" the year.

Tracie, I continue to enjoy reading your blog. Hang in there with SBG; I'm working towards it.

Brendan said...

You might not be the incredible teacher you think you are, but I'm going to share your posts anyway.

Tracie Schroeder said...

Mrs. T - hope that happens soon!

Lee - SBG is getting better on my end. I've been editing as I go, so maybe in another year or so I will have real plan :)

Brendan - HAHA thanks so much!

My Menu